Thursday, September 24, 2009

MIA Installation




For this installation we were to use pieces found @ the MIA. We had to have at least 3 objects from two diff. floors. The 3 objects i picked for my installation were:



I would put these pieces in simple plain room painted compleatly black (Walls, Floor, Ceiling), With no lighting around it. I would have the picture of Washington free hanging by wire in the center of the room w/ no lights directed on him. I would have one of the weapons (Sword/Knives) free hanging in front of the painting, Right in front of where Washington's sword hangs. I would have the healing doll free hanging as well, In front of the chair Washington if partly standing in front of, As if was sitting in the seat. As i said earlyer in this description, I will not have a light directing on the painting. However, I will place a bright light directly above the sword, And another directly above the healling doll, For extremly high contrast in the other wise dark room.

I want to show these things from africa as being apart of Washington. I've heard alot about presidants from back in the day, Including Washington that had sex or even raped their slaves. The healling doll shown here, Is not just for physical health, But emotional as well. It's something i hope these used woman could be helped by. Rape is normaly to show power over someone vs. for sex/lust. I give Washington this african weapon not to protect himself, But to stand in for the woman he hurt as slaves or otherwise, To make him feel powerful.

4 comments:

  1. You present some interesting ideas here and are certainly re-thinking the representation of George Washington. I wonder if it would be clear how these items are supposed to comment on Washington, and what could be done to make that clearer. Would this work better with a sculpture of Washington? Would it be more powerful with even more items arrayed against Washington, or a more clear representation of who is being protected against him?

    Who are these pieces by, what medium, what time? Remember, you still need to include citations, and they would also make the description feel fuller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my thoughts on Washington are even more contrasted when you look at Moan's installation blog, We bring to light very diff. views on him.

    Yes, I do think a sculpture would work much better, But all i saw was this painting and a bust of him @ MIA. We spent alot of time on the 2nd floor so we had to breaze through the rest a little.

    I will deff.ly go back add in citations on the pieces, Thank you for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... I am still looking for the Midway piece here. Is that coming soon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting arrangement and ideas about the representation of Washington. I didn't know these things about Washington, and it's one of those arrangements that puts the focus on someone that would normally be in the background (the slaves) and puts the well-known figure into the background or represents him differently than normal.

    Really cool! :)

    ReplyDelete